Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Board of Livestock Commissioners - RG 355 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Board of Livestock Commissioners - RG 355


Historical Note:

The Board of Livestock Commissioners was created in 1885 with members appointed by the Governor (L. 1885, p. 1). The board was responsible for the investigation of contagious or infectious diseases among domestic animals and had the power to quarantine or order the destruction of infected livestock. Inspection and condemnation of meat or meat food products unfit for human consumption also fell under its jurisdiction. A State Veterinarian was appointed to carry out the board's orders.

The Board of Livestock Commissioners also appointed the members of the Board of Veterinary Examiners and issued licenses to veterinarians who met the requirements of the Board of Examiners. In 1917 the board was abolished by the Civil Administrative Code. Its powers and duties in regard to licensing veterinarians were transferred to the Department of Registration and Education; all others were transferred to the Department of Agriculture.






Page Generated in: 0.172 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5791500B of memory. (Peak of 5865092B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign