Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Abandoned Mined Lands Reclamation Council - RG 315 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Abandoned Mined Lands Reclamation Council - RG 315


Historical Note: The Abandoned Mined Lands Reclamation Council was created by the General Assembly in 1974 to designate and prioritize abandoned mined lands which were to be acquired and reclaimed by the Department of Mines and Minerals. Mined lands were defined as those lands surface mined or affected by underground coal mining. Acquisitions were to be made by purchase, exchange, or gift. Both federal and state funds could be applied to purchases. Priorities were based on the severity of pollution dangers, the abilities of private owners to alleviate these problems, the potential economic and recreational values of land sites, and immediate threats to public safety. Once acquired and reclaimed, sites could be turned over to local taxing authorities. The council was composed of the directors of the Departments of Mines and Minerals, Conservation, Agriculture, Business and Economic Development, and Local Governmental Affairs; the Environmental Protection Agency; and the Illinois Institute for Environmental Quality. The Lieutenant Governor served as the council's chairman (P.A. 78-1293, pp. 1446-1450). The council's functions were transferred to the Department of Natural Resources on July 1, 1995 (P. A. 89-0050, p. 1389).





Page Generated in: 0.216 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5812052B of memory. (Peak of 5867312B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign