Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

State Soil and Water Conservation Districts Advisory Board - RG 304 | Illinois State Archives

Name: State Soil and Water Conservation Districts Advisory Board - RG 304
Variant Name: State Soil Conservation Districts Board; State Soil Conservation Board


Historical Note:

The State Soil Conservation Board was created in 1937 to provide for the conservation of the state's soil and soil resources (L. 1937, p. 10). The five-member board consisted of the directors of the Department of Agriculture and the Agricultural Extension Service of the University of Illinois who served as ex officio members and three members appointed by the Governor who were owners and active operators of farms. The board's powers and duties included assisting in the establishment of soil conservation districts, coordinating the exchange of information among districts, assisting directors of districts in carrying out their programs, seeking assistance of the federal government and other state agencies in district operations, and reviewing rules and regulations made by districts.

Landowners who wished to organize a soil conservation district petitioned the board and requested a hearing. If the board determined the petition to be administratively feasible a referendum on the question was held within the district.

The State Soil Conservation Board was superseded by the State Soil Conservation Districts Board in 1943 (L. 1943, vol. 1, p. 14). This board was abolished in 1961 and its duties were transferred to the newly created State Soil and Water Conservation Districts Advisory Board (L. 1961, p. 530).






Page Generated in: 0.142 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5793164B of memory. (Peak of 5865428B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign