Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Institute for Juvenile Research - RG 266 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Institute for Juvenile Research - RG 266


Historical Note:

In 1917 the newly created Department of Public Welfare assumed control of the Cook County Juvenile Psychopathic Institute and made it a part of the Division of the Criminologist (Department of Public Welfare, Twenty-Third Annual Report [Springfield, 1940], pp. 692, 774). Renamed as the Institute for Juvenile Research, the institution began to serve as a research center and to coordinate statewide activity in child guidance and delinquency prevention.

The State Criminologist acted as director of the Institute for Juvenile Research until 1941 when the Division of the Criminologist was transferred to the Department of Public Safety. The institute, however, then was made an independent division within the Department of Public Welfare and was specifically empowered to conduct scientific studies and to diagnose and promote the treatment of mentally ill, socially maladjusted, or delinquent children (L. 1941, vol. 1, p. 303).

The institute, located in Chicago, also operates the William Healy School as an inpatient unit, provides child guidance services to children and their families, and trains personnel in these fields. Since its transfer to the Department of Mental Health in 1961 the institute has expanded its research activity to encompass the entire field of clinical psychiatry (L. 1961, p. 2666).

Access to some of these records is restricted according to the provisions of the Mental Health Code and the State Records Act of 1957 as amended.






Page Generated in: 0.103 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5794868B of memory. (Peak of 5867584B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign