Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Chicago State Hospital - RG 264 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Chicago State Hospital - RG 264


Historical Note:

On July 1, 1912 Cook County transferred the land, buildings, and equipment of the Cook County Institution at Dunning to the Board of Administration (Board of Administration, Second and Third Annual Reports [Springfield, 1913] p. 931). This institution, opened in 1869, had formerly housed the indigent, tubercular, and insane of Cook County. After the Board of Administration assumed control in 1912 the institution was used solely for the treatment and care of the insane and was renamed Chicago State Hospital.

The hospital opened a training school for nurses in 1912 and established the first state psychiatric nursing affiliation program in 1918. The Psychiatric Nursing Affiliation Program provided instruction in psychiatric nursing to students from general hospital nursing schools throughout the country.

The Civil Administrative Code of 1917 transferred control of Chicago State Hospital to the Department of Public Welfare where it remained until the creation of the Department of Mental Health in 1961 (L. 1961, p. 2666). In 1970 Chicago State Hospital merged with the Charles F. Read Zone Center to become the Chicago-Read Mental Health Center (P.A. 76-2016, p. 73).






Page Generated in: 0.204 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5792708B of memory. (Peak of 5865364B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign