Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Alton Mental Health Center - RG 263 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Alton Mental Health Center - RG 263
Variant Name: Alton State Hospital


Historical Note:

In 1909 the General Assembly made provisions for the state to assume all responsibility for the care and treatment of the public insane (L. 1909, p. 102). To meet the resulting need for more state-operated facilities the General Assembly appropriated funds in 1911 to the Board of Administration for the establishment of another state hospital for the insane (L. 1911, pp. 20, 128). Although construction was not completed at the Alton site until July 1917, forty patients were transferred from Anna State Hospital in December 1916 and housed in temporary quarters until the formal opening of Alton State Hospital.

The Civil Administrative Code of 1917 abolished the Board of Administration and transferred control of Alton State Hospital to the newly created Department of Public Welfare. A training school for nurses was opened in 1921. The Department of Mental Health assumed control of the hospital in 1961 and changed its name to Alton Mental Health Center in 1975 (L. 1961, p. 2666; P.A. 79-581, p. 1895).






Page Generated in: 0.209 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5810316B of memory. (Peak of 5865520B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign