Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Illinois Soldiers' Widows' Home - RG 260 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Illinois Soldiers' Widows' Home - RG 260


Historical Note:

The Illinois Soldiers' Widows' Home at Wilmington was created in 1895 as a home for indigent mothers, wives, widows, and daughters of honorably discharged veterans (L. 1895, p. 23). The home originally was governed by five trustees who were appointed by the Governor to operate it under the supervision of the Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities. In 1909 the Soldiers' Widows' Home, like all other state charitable institutions, came under the supervision and control of the Board of Administration (L. 1909, p. 102).

The Department of Public Welfare assumed these duties in 1917 and retained jurisdiction over the home until the creation of the Department of Mental Health in 1961 (L. 1961, p. 2666). The Soldiers' Widows' Home was closed in 1963 and all women residing there were sent to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home at Quincy, which had been transferred to the Department of Children and Family Services (L. 1963, p. 1061).

Access to some of these records is restricted according to the provisions of P.A. 79-453 and the State Records Act of 1957 as amended.






Page Generated in: 0.198 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5838256B of memory. (Peak of 5893204B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign