Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Jacksonville Mental Health and Developmental Center - RG 252 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Jacksonville Mental Health and Developmental Center - RG 252
Variant Name: Jacksonville State Hospital; Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane; Illinois State Hospital for the Insane


Historical Note:

The General Assembly provided for the establishment of the first state hospital for the insane in Illinois in 1847. A nine-member board of trustees, named in the original act, was empowered to appoint a superintendent, purchase land, and construct facilities in Jacksonville for the Illinois State Hospital for the Insane (L. 1847, p. 52). The first patient was admitted on November 3, 1851. All patients were to be maintained at state expense. However, patients or their counties were expected to pay for clothing, travel, and incidental expenses.

In 1869 the board of trustees was reduced to three members and the newly created Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities was given authority to investigate and report to the Governor on conditions at the hospital (L. 1869, p. 63). As additional hospitals for the insane were established, the state was divided into districts and the Jacksonville institution, renamed as the Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane, assumed primary responsibility for patients from counties of central Illinois (L. 1875, p. 83).

The board of trustees was abolished in 1909 when executive and administrative control of all state charitable institutions passed to the newly created Board of Administration. As part of the reorganization the institution was renamed the Jacksonville State Hospital (L. 1909, p. 102). The Civil Administrative Code of 1917 transferred jurisdiction of the hospital to the Department of Public Welfare.

For 1944-1974 the hospital participated in a departmental affiliation program for psychiatric nursing which provided instruction in psychiatric nursing to students from general hospital nursing schools. The Psychiatric Nursing Affiliation Program offered two-, three,- and four-month terms of classroom instruction and practical training at Jacksonville State Hospital.

In 1961 the Department of Mental Health assumed responsibility for Jacksonville State Hospital and in 1974 expanded the hospital's duties to include treatment for the developmentally disabled (L. 1961, p. 2666). To reflect this change in function the institution's name became the Jacksonville Mental Health and Developmental Center in 1975 (P.A. 79-581, p. 1895).

Access to some of these records is restricted according to the provisions of the Mental Health Code and the State Records Act of 1957 as amended.



expand icon Records or Manuscript Collections Created by Jacksonville Mental Health and Developmental Center - RG 252



Page Generated in: 0.119 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5988516B of memory. (Peak of 6051244B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign