Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Department of Public Aid - RG 247 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Department of Public Aid - RG 247
Variant Name: Illinois Institute for Environmental Quality


Historical Note:

The Department of Public Aid was created in 1963 as the successor to the Illinois Public Aid Commission (L. 1963, p. 2055). In 1967 it was charged with administering the new Public Aid Code (L. 1967, p. 118). Additionally a Board of Public Aid Commissioners, composed of seven members appointed by the Governor, was retained to evaluate policies and practices, recommend legislation, and submit regular reports to the Governor and the General Assembly (L. 1963, p. 2058 and L. 1967, p. 190). This board was abolished by the General Assembly in 1975 (P.A. 79-349, p. 1344).

The 1967 code also created a legislative Advisory Committee on Public Aid composed of equal members of the House and Senate appointed respectively by the Speaker and the president pro tempore. It was to meet with the department and advise it on all matters relating to policy and the administration of public aid (L. 1967, p. 189). In 1985 this committee's responsibilities were assumed by the Citizens Council on Public Aid which was within the newly created Citizens Assembly (P.A. 83-1257, p. 1257 and P.A. 84-15, p. 305).

For administrative histories of the ILLINOIS PUBLIC AID COMMISSION and the ILLINOIS EMERGENCY RELIEF COMMISSION see RG 406.000. For an administrative history of the CITIZENS ASSEMBLY see RG 624.000.






Page Generated in: 0.11 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5877800B of memory. (Peak of 5948332B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign