Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Division of Architecture and Engineering - RG 241 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Division of Architecture and Engineering - RG 241
Variant Name: Supervising Engineer; Supervising Architect


Historical Note:

The Office of the Supervising Architect for the State of Illinois was created in 1899 (L. 1899, p. 79). The Supervising Architect, appointed by the Governor, was responsible for general supervision over the construction of all public buildings and works of the state including additions, alterations, and repairs to buildings already erected.

The Office of the Supervising Engineer, created in 1911, was primarily responsible for advising the General Assembly and Board of Administration on the construction, repair, equipment, and economical management of state charitable institutions (L. 1911, p. 124). The Supervising Engineer was appointed and subject to removal by the Board of Administration.

When the Department of Public Works and Buildings was created by the Civil Administrative Code of 1917, the responsibilities vested in the Supervising Architect and Supervising Engineer were combined and placed under the new department's Division of Architecture and Engineering. The chief officers of the division continued to be called the Supervising Architect and Supervising Engineer.

In 1925 the Department of Purchases and Construction was created to assume responsibility for several divisions transferred from the Department of Public Works and Buildings, including the Division of Architecture and Engineering (L. 1925, p. 585). The new department existed for only eight years, however, and when it was abolished in 1933 the division was returned to the Department of Public Works and Buildings (L. 1933, p. 1061). It remained there until 1967 when the Department of General Services was created and the division was transferred to it (L. 1967, p. 2788).

In 1972 the powers and duties of the Division of Architecture and Engineering were transferred to the newly created Capital Development Board (P.A. 77-1995, pp. 460-466).






Page Generated in: 0.123 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5821884B of memory. (Peak of 5879512B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign