Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Board of Regents - RG 475 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Board of Regents - RG 475


Historical Note: The Board of Regents was established in 1967 to exercise overall governance of Illinois State University in Normal and Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. It originally was composed of thirteen members, including a chairman, vice chairman, and a secretary, all appointed by the Governor with the approval of the Senate (L. 1967, pp. 1251-1260). Chief staff members have included an executive director, a deputy director for administrative affairs, and a deputy director for academic affairs. The executive director later became the chancellor and his main assistants became deputy chancellors. Sangamon State University in Springfield became a part of the system in 1969 (P.A. 76-131, p. 197). A non-voting student board member from each of the universities was added in 1973. These were selected by the student body of each campus (P.A. 79-932, p. 2827). Effective January 1, 1996 the Board of Regents ceased to exist and overall governance reverted back to the administrations of the respective universities (P.A. 89-4, p. 156).





Page Generated in: 0.213 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5903352B of memory. (Peak of 5958084B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign