Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Department of Professional Regulation - RG 208 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Department of Professional Regulation - RG 208
Variant Name: Department of Registration and Education


Historical Note:

The Department of Registration and Education, created by the Civil Administrative Code of 1917, absorbed the powers and duties of a number of earlier boards and agencies. Under the Civil Administrative Code the Department of Registration and Education assumed responsibility for regulating the practice of various professions within the state, including the examination and licensing of individuals engaged in the professions. The powers and duties involved were transferred from the Board of Veterinary Examiners, the Board of Livestock Commissioners, the Board of Examiners of Horseshoers, the Board of Examiners of Architects, the Board of Examiners of Structural Engineers, the Board of Health, the Board of Pharmacy, the Board of Dental Examiners, the Board of Nurse Examiners, the Board of Optometry, and the Board of Examiners of Barbers. A number of other professions have since been added to the department's jurisdiction.

The department also assumed the responsibilities of the boards of trustees for the state's normal universities and teachers' colleges located at Normal, Carbondale, Charleston, De Kalb, and Macomb. These institutions were administered by the department's Normal College Board, the name of which was changed to the Teachers' College Board in 1941 (L. 1941, vol. 1, p. 1277). In 1949 jurisdiction over Southern Illinois University at Carbondale was transferred to a newly created board of trustees for that institution (L. 1949, p. 1618). Control over the remaining institutions was removed from the department in 1951 when a new and separate Teachers' College Board was created (L. 1951, p. 954).

The department also exercised jurisdiction over the State Museum, the Natural History Survey, and the State Geological Survey, and was responsible for investigations of entomology and the state's geological, water, and mineral resources. These functions were passed over to the newly created Department of Energy and Natural Resources in 1981 (P.A. 82-592, pp. 3016, 3043).

The agency’s name was changed to the Department of Professional Regulation by an act passed by the General Assembly in 1987 (P.A. 85-225, pp. 1462, 1471, 1476). In 2004, the powers, duties and responsibilities of the Department of Professional Regulation were consolidated with those of the Department of Financial Institutions, the Department of Insurance and the Office of Banks and Real Estate to create the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (Executive Order 2004-6, pp. 5173-5183). The Department of Insurance regained its independence in 2009 (P.A. 96-811, pp. 7952-7954; Executive Order 2009-4, pp. 9015-9021).

Access to some of these records is restricted according to provisions of the Freedom of Information Act of 1983 (P.A. 83-1013).



expand icon Records or Manuscript Collections Created by Department of Professional Regulation - RG 208



Page Generated in: 0.306 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 6229108B of memory. (Peak of 6277960B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign