Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Illinois Economic and Fiscal Commission - RG 613 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Illinois Economic and Fiscal Commission - RG 613
Variant Name: Illinois Budgetary Commission


Historical Note:

The Illinois Budgetary Commission was created in 1937 to study and investigate all state expenditures, income, and license tax fees and to formulate a plan for the standardization and classification of salaries, wages, fees, and services rendered to the state. The commission consisted of the Governor as an ex officio member, chairmen of the appropriations committees of the House of Representatives and the Senate, and two members from each chamber of the General Assembly (L. 1937, p. 194).

In 1957 the office of the executive director was established within the Illinois Budgetary Commission to carry out study projects assigned by the commission, make cost studies and management analyses of state government operations, conduct performance checks on state agencies operating under appropriation bills and authorizations, analyze appropriation measures introduced during legislative sessions and submit reports concerning them to each member of the House and Senate appropriation committees, and advise legislative committees on the estimated and ultimate cost of each bill (L. 1957, p. 2882).

The same act expanded the commission to include two additional members from each chamber of the General Assembly. The commission further was empowered to study and make recommendations on budget procedures, analyze and investigate all budget recommendations and all state expenditures and income, and make available for public inspection copies of all audits made by or for the Auditor General. The Illinois Budgetary Commission was abolished in 1972 and its staff and facilities were transferred to the newly created Illinois Economic and Fiscal Commission (P.A. 77-2054, pp. 667-670).






Page Generated in: 0.218 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5854912B of memory. (Peak of 5910344B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign