Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Illinois Transportation Study Commission - RG 568 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Illinois Transportation Study Commission - RG 568
Variant Name: Illinois Highway Study Commission; Highways Plan Commission


Historical Note: The Highways Plan Commission was created by the General Assembly in 1963 to study the planning, administration, financing, construction, maintenance, and operation of all systems of public roads, streets, and highways in the state and to report recommendations for improvement. It was composed of five House members appointed by the Speaker, five Senate members appointed by the president pro tempore, and seven public members appointed by the Governor (L. 1963, pp. 3289-3290). Its name was changed to the Illinois Highway Study Commission in 1969 and its membership was altered to include three House members appointed by the Speaker, two House members appointed by the minority leader, three Senate members appointed by the president pro tempore, two Senate members appointed by the minority leader, and six public members with two appointed by the Speaker, one by the House minority leader, two by the president pro tempore, and one by the Senate minority leader (P.A. 76-380, p. 896). The commission's name changed again in 1971 when it became the Illinois Transportation Study Commission with responsibility for studying all forms of public transportation including streets, highways, railroads, and water and air systems. Its overall goal was to help develop fully integrated transportation systems (P.A. 77-653, pp. 1346-1347). The commission was abolished by the Legislative Commission Reorganization Act of 1984 (P.A. 83-1257, p. 1176).





Page Generated in: 0.222 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5831636B of memory. (Peak of 5886552B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign