Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Illinois Commission on Atomic Energy - RG 567 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Illinois Commission on Atomic Energy - RG 567
Variant Name: Illinois Legislative Commission on Atomic Energy


Historical Note:

The Illinois Legislative Commission on Atomic Energy was created by the General Assembly in 1961 to study the economic and social impacts which the peaceful use of atomic energy and radiation might have on Illinois citizens and to explore any other related issues. It was made up of four members of the General Assembly with two from the House appointed by the Speaker and two from the Senate appointed by the Committee on Committees. Seven members were appointed by the Governor. These included two from the nuclear industry, two representing labor, two from related scientific and technological fields, and one from the insurance business. Ex officio members included the directors of the Departments of Public Health, Public Welfare, Agriculture, and Labor; the chairman of the Illinois Commerce Commission; and the director of the Civil Defense Agency (L. 1961, p. 3901).

The Illinois Legislative Commission on Atomic Energy was recreated by the General Assembly in 1971 as the Illinois Commission on Atomic Energy to investigate, support, encourage, and promote those economic, social, health, and technological benefits which nuclear energy could afford Illinois citizens. It was composed of two House members appointed by the Speaker, two Senate members appointed by the president pro tempore, and ten citizen members appointed by the Governor. Citizen members included two members from the nuclear energy industry, two members representing labor, two from related scientific and technological fields, two from medicine, one from the insurance industry, and one from the legal profession. Additionally the directors of the Departments of Public Health, Mental Health, Agriculture, Labor, Law Enforcement, and Business and Economic Development; the chairman of the Illinois Commerce Commission; and the directors of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Civil Defense Agency served as ex officio members. The Department of Public Health provided administrative support services (P.A. 77-1510, pp. 2778-2780). The commission was abolished by the Legislative Commission Reorganization Act of 1984 (P.A. 83-1257, p. 1174).

See also DEPARTMENT OF NUCLEAR SAFETY, RG 221.






Page Generated in: 0.174 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5803716B of memory. (Peak of 5875524B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign