Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Capitol Building Repair Commission - RG 515 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Capitol Building Repair Commission - RG 515


Historical Note: In 1915 a commission composed of the Lieutenant Governor, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the president pro tempore of the Senate, and one member of the House was created to oversee various repairs and improvements to the Capitol (L. 1915, p. 35). The areas designated for renovation included the Senate and House chambers, the committee rooms of the General Assembly, the fifth and sixth floors, as well as the purchase and installation of elevators and repair of the roof. An initial appropriation of $50,000 was made. Additional appropriations of $71,450 and $80,000 were made in 1917 and 1919 respectively (L. 1917, p. 156; L. 1919, p. 152). These funds were granted directly to the Secretary of State as chairman of the reorganized commission whose other members were then the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House. The commission's final appropriation in 1919 was for the renovation of the House and Senate chambers and repair of the dome.





Page Generated in: 0.208 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5791540B of memory. (Peak of 5865080B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign