Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Board of State House Commissioners - RG 512 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Board of State House Commissioners - RG 512
Variant Name: Board of State House Commissioners (Second Springfield State House)


Historical Note:

In 1867 the General Assembly appointed seven commissioners to supervise the construction of a new State House in Springfield (L. 1867, p. 162). Work on the building began in 1868. The Constitution of 1870 set a maximum allowed cost for the building at $3.5 million and provided that no appropriation could be made above that limit without approval by referendum of the citizens of the state.

By 1876 the spending limit had been reached. While the exterior of the building was nearly complete, the interior was substantially unfinished. For lack of funds, work on the building was suspended until a further appropriation could be approved. Referenda were held and defeated in 1878, 1880, and 1882. The salaries of the commissioners were suspended in 1877 (L. 1877, p. 47) and the board officially was abolished in 1879 (L. 1879, p. 314).

Authorization for the necessary appropriation finally was granted in an 1884 referendum. The 1883 legislation calling for the vote also authorized the Governor to appoint three commissioners to superintend the completion of the State House (L. 1883, p. 39). They began their work after the appropriation was confirmed in 1885 (L. 1885, p. 53) and continued in office until the State House was deemed complete in 1888.



expand icon Records or Manuscript Collections Created by Board of State House Commissioners - RG 512



Page Generated in: 0.191 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 6021496B of memory. (Peak of 6085004B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign