Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Committee for Construction of the New State House - RG 510 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Committee for Construction of the New State House - RG 510
Variant Name: Committee for Construction of the New State House (Third Vandalia State House)


Historical Note: The third Vandalia State House was constructed by the citizens of Vandalia during the summer of 1836. The project was undertaken because it was reported that the second Vandalia State House was structurally unsound and in danger of collapse. The old building was razed and some of the salvaged materials were used in the new structure. While the State House was built without legislative approval, the construction was supervised by a committee consisting of the Secretary of State, the State Treasurer, and the Auditor of Public Accounts. It was financed partially from the Governor's contingent fund and partially from donations from private citizens. Shortly before moving the seat of government to Springfield the General Assembly approved an appropriation to cover all remaining expenses which had been incurred for the third Vandalia State House (L. 1837, p. 323). When the state capital was moved the state granted the third Vandalia State House jointly to Fayette County for use as a courthouse and to the town of Vandalia for school purposes (L. 1839, p. 134).





Page Generated in: 0.186 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5792584B of memory. (Peak of 5864884B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign