Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Committee for Superintending the Building of the State House - RG 509 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Committee for Superintending the Building of the State House - RG 509
Variant Name: Committee for Superintending the Building of the State House (Second Vandalia State House)


Historical Note: The first State House in Vandalia which had been constructed 1819-1820 was destroyed by fire on December 9, 1823. During the summer of 1824 a group of Vandalia citizens undertook the building of a second State House without the approval of the General Assembly. They formed a committee of five members, one of whom was the Secretary of State, to superintend the construction of a State House and donated $3,000 toward its cost. In 1825 the General Assembly appropriated an additional $12,164.71 in State Bank paper to pay the remaining bills (L. 1825, p. 6). The building served the state until torn down in 1837 to allow for construction of the third Vandalia State House.





Page Generated in: 0.172 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5791528B of memory. (Peak of 5864792B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign