Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

Service Recognition Board (WW II) - RG 504 | Illinois State Archives

Name: Service Recognition Board (WW II) - RG 504


Historical Note:

The General Assembly created the Service Recognition Board in 1946 to provide compensation to World War II veterans or their survivors. The board consisted of the Governor, the State Treasurer, and the Adjutant General (L. 1946, p. 2). A bond issue for the financing of bonus payments was approved in 1946 and the General Assembly appropriated funds for the payments in 1947 (L. 1947, p. 27). Monies for bonus payments were held by the State Treasurer in the Illinois Soldiers' Compensation Fund and the Service Recognition Board Interest and Retirement Fund. The board was empowered to make general regulations regarding eligibility and established the Board of Review to examine doubtful claims. Claims offices operated in Chicago and Springfield.

The General Assembly abolished the Service Recognition Board in 1953 and instructed the Adjutant General to deposit all its books, records, and documents at the State Archives. Any eligible person who had not made a claim by the closing date had to file a request for payment with the Court of Claims (L. 1953, p. 177).

However, in 1973 the General Assembly reopened the World War II bonus payments and placed the administration of this program under the Illinois Veterans' Commission (P.A. 78-300, pp. 1009-1010). These new bonus records and correspondence currently are held by the Department of Veterans' Affairs, created in 1975 as the successor to the Illinois Veterans' Commission (P.A. 79-376, pp. 1388-1391).

Access to these records is restricted according to the provisions of L. 1953, p. 177 and the Freedom of Information Act (P.A. 83-1013).



expand icon Records or Manuscript Collections Created by Service Recognition Board (WW II) - RG 504



Page Generated in: 0.254 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 6008016B of memory. (Peak of 6071556B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign