Browse: Record Series Subjects Agencies Record Groups

State Housing Board - RG 415 | Illinois State Archives

Name: State Housing Board - RG 415


Historical Note: The State Housing Board was created as an independent agency within the Department of Purchases and Construction in 1933 (L. 1933, p. 396). The following year it was relocated in the Department of Public Works and Buildings (L. 1934, 3d Sess., p. 169). It was composed of seven members appointed by the Governor. Duties included studying housing needs and conditions throughout the state; studying means of lowering rents and charges for dwellings by securing economy in the construction, arrangement, and financing of buildings; preparing legislation and regulations concerning housing; cooperating with local housing boards; making recommendations for the enactment or amendment of building codes; studying the distribution of housing with reference to the location of housing of industrial workers; approving or disapproving the incorporation of housing corporations and their projects; and supervising and controlling rents, charges, capital structure, rate of return, and area and methods of operation of such corporations (L. 1933, p. 396). In 1937 state agencies were authorized to provide assistance to local housing boards (L. 1937, p. 677) and in 1947 the Housing Development and Construction Act authorized the board to distribute state monies to local housing authorities and land clearance commissions for the construction of public housing (L. 1947, p. 1086). In 1970 the duties and powers of the board were absorbed by the Department of Local Governmental Affairs (P.A. 76-1158, pp. 2320-2321).  In 1980 the duties and powers were transferred to the Department of Commerce and Community Affairs (P.A. 81-1509, p. 3490) and then to the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity in 2006 (P.A. 94-793, p. 719).





Page Generated in: 0.189 seconds (using 104 queries).
Using 5812624B of memory. (Peak of 5869504B.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.12
Copyright ©2010 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign