- About this Database
- This database contains descriptions of the records held by the Illinois State Archives and is the primary
guide to the body of archival records created by the government of the State of Illinois.
- The records described in this database are arranged to reflect the governmental structures that created them
and administrative histories explaining those structures are included. Records are arranged according to the
principle of provenance (records from one creating agency are not mixed with those from another) and they are
also indexed by subject. The records are available for use during the Archives normal business hours.
- Default Behaviors
- The search engine looks for records containing each term you submit in the search box above (e.g., the database
assumes a boolean "AND"; civil AND war, rather than civil OR war).
- Search By Phrase
- To look for phrases, use double quotes around your query (e.g., "Illinois River").
- Narrow Your Search Results
- Use a minus sign before a term you want to omit from your results. (e.g., 'civil -war' finds civil service but not civil war).
- Browse by Record Group, Agencies, Subjects or Collections.
- Consider Using Controlled Vocabulary
- Browse or search by Subjects to take advantage of Illinois State Archives assigned subject terms.
- Consider using results from the Subject Headings option in your Search Results.
- Further information can be obtained from:
- Illinois State Archives
- Margaret Cross Norton Bldg
- Springfield, IL 62756
- 217-524-3930 (fax)
- Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm